A change request is used to change any aspect of the project. It can pertain to product, documents, cost, schedule, or any other aspect of the project. Typical information includes:
- Description of the proposed change
- Impacts of the proposed change
- Project documents
A change request can come from almost any process involved in executing, monitoring, and controlling the project. It is described in 4.3 Direct and Manage Project Work in the PMBOK® Guide – Sixth Edition. Upon completion, it is submitted to the change control board for review.
Consider the following tips to help tailor the change request to meet your needs:
- For smaller projects you can simplify the form by having a summary description of the impacts with- out including impacts for each subcategory (scope, quality, requirements, ).
- You can add a check box that indicates whether the change is mandatory (such as a legal requirement) or discretionary.
- A field can be added that describes the implications of not making the change.
The change request should be aligned and consistent with the following documents:
- Change management plan
- Change log
|Requestor||The name, and if appropriate, the position of the person requesting the change|
|Category||Check a box to indicate the category of change.|
|Description of change||Describe the proposed change in enough detail to clearly communicate all aspects of the change.|
|Justification for proposed change||Indicate the reason for the change.|
|Impacts of change||Scope||Describe the impact of the proposed change on the project and product scope.|
|Quality||Describe the impact of the proposed change on the project or product quality.|
|Requirements||Describe the impact of the proposed change on the project or product requirements.|
|Cost||Describe the impact of the proposed change on the project budget, cost estimates, or funding requirements.|
|Schedule||Describe the impact of the proposed change on the sched- ule and whether it will change the critical path.|
|Project documents||Describe the impact of the proposed change on each proj- ect document.|
|Comments||Provide any comments that will clarify information about the requested change.|